This is the first time that the 1,100 year-old Royal Mint’s classic 1 oz Silver Britannia has been embellished with a symbol from the Chinese lunar-solar calendar. It is also the first time that this coin has carried a design around its milled edge.
Royal Mint Chief Engraver, Gordon Summers said “Our main challenge in developing the Lunar Britannia coin was incorporating the lunar symbol around the edge of the coin with clarity and quality of design, yet retaining the beauty and the impact of Philip Nathan’s Britannia figure”. And the end result? The elegantly-curled figure of a snake appears at intervals around the edge of the coin, as though standing guard over the proud Britannia, a celebration of the "Year of the Snake" in classic style.
- Contains 1 oz of fine Silver.
- Coin comes in protective packaging.
- Obverse: Displays the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, along with the face value of 2 pounds.
- Reverse: The legendary figure of Britannia holding a trident and shield. Her image has symbolized Britain’s strength and integrity on coinage since Roman times.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.
|Country:||United Kingdom (UK)|
|Metal:||Silver (Ag) .999|
|Date of issue:||2013|